Friday, June 3, 2011

Pushing It

I'm getting a bit turned off to all the social networking. I mean, it's fun and everything, but isn't it a bit narcissistic? It is, isn't it? Everyone is Facebooking, which is fun and great and keeps us from needing to lose ten pounds and figure out what to wear to high school reunions and whatnot, but the blogging and Twittering just seem so self-absorbed. I have to do this stuff if I want to do what I want to. And I really do want to do what I want to do, but I would like to do it without shoving myself down the throat of everyone I know. I try to rationalize it. Sometimes I tell myself, "It's okay Self, at least you have a reason for doing all this stuff." Everyone else has their reasons too I guess. I picture a monk somewhere, sitting in his peaceful place, thinking peaceful thoughts, and I wonder what his response to our obsession with ourselves would be. Would he sit and smile knowingly? Would he secretly pity us for not being enlightened or would he be too enlightened for that? Whatever. Once I've finished writing this, I will post it to Facebook and Twitter, feeling a bit crappy for pushing my junk upon the world once again. I'll picture that monk on his mountaintop (yes, he sits on a mountaintop overlooking a green valley with a river running through it. He sits under a shady tree wearing his orange robe, not worrying about his past or his future, and he is overjoyed) and I'll secretly envy his life. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll do it all again. Then again and again and again until I don't feel bad about it anymore, and tons more people will have read my book and all my friends will be sick of me. I hope the monk remains though. I like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment